Friday, February 18, 2011

Blue Moon --- "You can beat them to death on the field, but you can't beat them in the bar!"







Last year, after many years of not playing softball, I decided I wanted to play recreational softball. After speaking with some old team members, I decided to join them in the Johnston Recreational League, on the Blue Moon team.  Initially, I had no idea what The Blue Moon was, I was just happy to be playing again. I soon figured out that The Blue Moon was a hole-in-the-wall bar.

I knew something was wrong, when the first game of the season arrived and we had yet to have a practice. I showed up to the field in my brand new uniform, my broken-in glove, and my brand new color changing cleats, and I was ready to play.  As I sat there waiting for my team members to arrive, I started to notice that I was the black sheep!  There were guys that showed up in jeans, overweight, and carrying a cooler full of Bud Light.  There were older gentlemen, and women, who looked like they had never played a game of anything in their life. Needless to say we became the laughing stock of the league.  We won 1 game last year, but we all loved being on that field, whether we were good or not. The best part of being part of that team was just getting to meet new people, who just wanted to have fun.  Many times after the games we would all commune at the Blue Moon, have a few drinks, and make fun of each other's athletic capabilities.  The joke of the league was "You can win against Blue Moon, but you can't beat them in the bar!" 

Walker states "They do want to participate in the broader idea of this form of leisure and the group identity it seems to represent. They clearly want, in other words, to join the 'community'". That isn't a mistake or a fluke.  It's a key to understanding how symbols help us solve the problem of balancing individuality and belonging. Every member of the community helps define the community."(Walker-34)
Like Walker's discussion we are all individuals, with different lives, different jobs, and different abilities, but when we wore the Blue Moon logo, we were a team!  Blue Moon meant nothing to the other teams (maybe it meant a win) but to us, it was our team, our bar, and our family!

4 comments:

  1. I hope I can see more posts. I want to read your articles. Because they are very useful, I always wait for new posts. They are my cup of tea. Thank you for your contribution to the community.
    sales pop master app
    sales pop by autoketing
    koi Nhật

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern life, people always find new technology to replace old technology, it takes a lot of time. Thus, artificial grass is born not only in sports but also in garden decor. Children's play areas are also used to create green spaces for the garden and play in comfortable spaces. for young children. In addition, it is also used in interior decoration, outdoor carpets, interior decoration, playground for kindergarten children, golf course, tennis court
    gái gọi, gái gọi cao cấp, hinh sex, Gái gọi Mỹ Đình , Gái gọi Đống Đa\

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although the acrylic material has good bearing capacity but also can bend very well to form kitchen cabinets diverse. And an important feature that should not be missed when used as a kitchen material is its moisture and fire resistance characteristics. When our sisters cook, the moisture can cling to the surface of the kitchen cabinets lovely if not able to ensure the durability of your kitchen cabinets can not be more than a year, do not say kitchen cabinets Thu Anh furniture will guarantee for 10 years.
    gai goi online, gaigoihanoi, gai goi 9x, anh gai goi, checkerviet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pattern and I guessed right about it being the boy version :) I knew those fun prints you had just purchased were begging to be used in a quilt. nhà cái uy tín số 1

    ReplyDelete